Friday, July 18, 2008

Getting Ready Volume 1

Our visas are done, Michelle's visa is done, we are just waiting on Vince, Liz, Claire, and JR's visas. When we get to our host house, we have to check in at the local police station - all nine of us - within 24 hours, or risk a rather large fine. This process has made me appreciate an exchange from "Hunt For Red October", one of my favorite movies, a bit more.


Capt. Vasili Borodin: I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?

Captain Ramius: I suppose.

Capt. Vasili Borodin: No papers?

Captain Ramius: No papers, state to state.

Capt. Vasili Borodin: Well then, in winter I will live in... Arizona. Actually, I think I will need two wives.

Captain Ramius: Oh, at least.


"No papers?" "No papers, state to state." I have a feeling we will be reminded daily of how fortunate we are here.

Our "host family", the Johnsons, are really going out of their way to make this trip as easy as possible. They are ex-pats and have been over there for a while, and Laura (our hostess) has been so helpful with tips on what to expect, making sure their housekeeper will help us, arranging a driver to get us to the train station...the list goes on and on. The house is a good ways away from the stadium, but I think having the house with all the amenities will more than make up for the time we have to spend traveling.

I am also loading photos to a new photo site, Picasa. I will use this for USA Softball and Beijing pictures. So let's see if the first slide show works. It is pics from USA in Ft Worth and in Killeen. Slideshow is up at the top right of the main blog page here.

Animal care is covered now as well, too. Duke will board at the vets and Abbey will stay with friends. With Duke's back issues, this is better for him.

OK - for now - adios. (Got to look up how to say good bye in Chinese!)

No comments: